When you or someone you love suffers an injury at work, it can be an overwhelming time. Concerns about your health and your finances can cause a significant amount of stress, and it is natural to worry about the future. In Iowa, and across the country, the workers’ compensation system exists to provide medical care and compensation to help ease the burdens of this time. Most employees are entitled to these benefits, but it is necessary to file a claim with the state commission to obtain them. While some workers are able to complete this process on their own in simple cases, there are many times when an attorney can offer necessary and effective assistance to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
Top 5 Reasons to Hire an Iowa Workers’ Compensation Lawyer
With concerns about an uncertain future and reduced income, many injured workers worry that hiring a lawyer may be out of the question. The services an experienced workers’ compensation attorney can provide, however, may be invaluable. Here, we share some of the most compelling reasons you should hire an attorney.
- An attorney knows the law – After a work injury, employees may find themselves flooded with misinformation. From whether you are eligible for benefits to who can provide your care to how much compensation you deserve, it can be difficult to find reliable information. An experienced attorney knows the answers to these questions and will work hard to make sure injured workers fully understand their rights to pursue maximum compensation.
- Lawyers take care of the details – To obtain all the care and compensation an injured worker deserves, it is necessary to complete and file the appropriate paperwork. This means meeting deadlines, coordinating supporting evidence and statements, filling out forms, and more. While this may not seem like a daunting task, even a slight error or one missed date can mean the denial of your benefits. An attorney can complete these tasks while the injured worker focuses on what really matters—his health and recovery.
- An experienced attorney will fight the insurance company for you – Unfortunately, workers’ compensation insurance companies often attempt to reduce or even eliminate their responsibility to pay an injured worker. They will employ any number of tactics in an attempt to protect their own bottom line. An experienced attorney can recognize these dealings and stand up to big insurance to ensure that injured workers receive all they are due.
- Injured workers deserve protection – At times, employers may try to intimidate employees or retaliate against them for filing an injury claim. This is against the law, and injured workers should not have to worry that seeking the benefits they deserve will negatively impact their employment future. With a lawyer on your side, injured workers can be sure their rights will be fully protected.
- An attorney will see your case through to the end – Even if your work injury claim has been denied, it can be possible to appeal. While the appeals process can be a complicated and frustrating process, an attorney can work with you to prepare and state a compelling case to help obtain the vital care and compensation benefits.
Still, many injured workers may worry they cannot afford an attorney, especially at a time when financial concerns are high. With many different types of fee agreements, however, securing professional, effective representation is easier than you may think. Additionally, it is important to consider the costs of not hiring an attorney. While a workers’ compensation is not a legal case, the decisions of the state commission are binding. Once the appeals process has been exhausted, it is not possible to reverse a decision. Over the course of your recovery and rehabilitation, losing out on this income can cause significant hardship, especially for those who experience a severe or permanent injury.
If you or someone you love has suffered an injury or illness at work, you may be eligible to receive workers’ compensation benefits, and the experienced attorneys at the Pothitakis Law Firm may be able to help. Request a free copy of our book, 7 Things You Must Know if You Get Hurt at Work, to learn more about your rights and how our attorney can secure the care and compensation you deserve.