Do I have any recourse if my employer denies my Workers' Compensation claim or does not pay a fair amount?

Yes, you do. Under Iowa law employees have the right to initiate a contested-case proceeding before the Iowa Workers' Compensation Commissioner. It is usually advisable to consider legal representation to file a contested-case proceeding, however, it is not required. Disputes are resolved in a hearing which is much less formal than a jury trial. During the hearing, evidence is presented from both sides and the Deputy Workers' Compensation Commissioner will make a ruling regarding benefits and the amount. The Deputy's ruling can be appealed to the Iowa Workers' Compensation Commissioner who will review the case and evidence and then issue a final decision. The final decision is sometimes challenged in the court system and can be appealed all the way to the Iowa Supreme Court.