Is my case over if the doctor for the insurance company says I am released and I am fine?

If a Workers' Compensation physician has released you but you continue to suffer from pain and discomfort, it is important for you to take action.  The first thing you should do is request a return appointment to that physician so that they can be made aware of your continued problems.  The hope is that this doctor will provide you some additional care and treatment. 

If you either fail in obtaining a return appointment to the company’s chosen physician or the company chosen physician simply does not provide you medical care that is effective, you may be entitled to seek and obtain a second opinion at the expense of the Iowa Workers' Compensation insurance carrier.  Under the Iowa Workers' Compensation laws, there is a provision that allows you to seek a second opinion when you feel that the Iowa Workers' Compensation physician’s opinion concerning your permanency or your condition is not accurate.               

It is important to obtain whatever medical care is necessary to treat the injury to either obtain complete resolution of the symptoms or for a physician to establish that the condition is permanent and will have an effect on you for some time. 

A couple of websites that provide helpful information concerning medical care are: as well as the website for Pothitakis Law Firm, P.C., which is

Just because the insurance company says you are fine, does not make it so. It is important to use all available options to receive appropriate care and treatment before giving up or resolving your claim.


Niko Pothitakis
Attorney Pothitakis Law Firm, P.C.