Talking to a Muscatine car accident lawyer after a car accident is vital to understanding your case, knowing your rights, and taking action to get what you deserve under the law. It can also help relieve your stress, restore your finances, and return your life to normal.
At Pothitakis Law Firm, we are dedicated to helping motor vehicle accident victims understand their case and find justice after a crash. We can help you answer the following questions about your personal injury case and about personal injury law:
- How much is my personal injury claim worth?
- Who was at fault for my car accident?
- Can I receive compensation for damages, like my medical bills?
- How do I file a personal injury claim?
- Do I need an Muscatine car accident lawyer?
- How much does an Iowa car accident attorney cost?
- Should I talk to the insurance company after a car accident?
- Can I get compensation for my lost wages?
- How long does a personal injury claim take?
- Can I file a claim against a truck company or commercial driver?
- Can I receive compensation for my damaged property?
- Should I settle my personal injury claim with the insurance company?
Call our offices today to learn more about our legal services and to meet our Muscatine car accident attorneys.
The Most Common Causes of Traffic Accidents In Iowa
Iowa does not have large amounts of congested city driving or enormous super-highways or even much suburban sprawl. However, despite its lack of traffic issues, thousands of residents across the state are seriously injured in motor vehicle accidents each year. What are the most common causes of these wrecks? Let’s take a closer look.
- Driving under the influence. In recent years, about 20 percent of all fatal traffic accidents in Iowa have either involved driving under the influence of alcohol, driving under the influence of drugs, or both. Getting behind the wheel while intoxicated can lead to very serious accidents because drivers have slower reaction times, worse judgment, and reduced concentration. Some drunk drivers even pass out while driving.
- Speeding. When you are driving over the speed limit, you are putting yourself and everyone around you in danger. Even driving a few miles over the speed limit can make it more difficult to stop for pedestrians and more difficult to avoid hazards. Driving at extremely high speeds significantly increases the chance that the ensuing crash will involve serious injuries or fatalities.
- Distracted Driving. With the advent of mobile technology and cell phones, distracted driving accidents have only increased in number. In addition to getting distracted by smart phones, drivers may also be distracted by food, grooming, GPS systems, and passengers in the car.
- Fatigued Driving. Studies have shown that driving tired can be just as dangerous as driving drunk. Avoid falling asleep behind the wheel by resting well before your travels, taking regular breaks, and avoiding driving late at night or early in the morning.
- Disobeying traffic laws. In addition to speeding, other violations of traffic laws are a top cause of accidents in Iowa. These include running red lights, tailgating, and failing to yield to a vehicle that has the right-of-way. The at-fault party is almost always the party who violated the law, although you should be aware that more than one driver can be at fault for a crash.
- Weather. Iowa has more than its fair share of adverse weather conditions, including rain, snow, fog, ice, and wind – not to mention severe storms. These weather conditions can limit visibility and make roads slick, leading to a significant number of accidents, especially when paired with speeding, tailgating, or other traffic violations.
Whether your car accident was similar to those described above, or whether it happened under a less common set of circumstances, you may have a valid personal injury claim and should speak with an Muscatine car accident attorney about your case.
Request A Free, Private Consultation With A Muscatine Personal Injury Attorney
It is free and confidential to speak to an attorney about your Muscatine car accident case. We are happy to meet with you, answer your questions, and let you know if you have a personal injury claim that we can further assist you with. To schedule your no-obligation, private meeting, please call our offices today or fill out our short electronic contact form.