Decorating has become an elaborate affair for families during the holiday season. We have so many inspirational ideas at our disposal with sites such as Pinterest and Instagram. Be sure to follow these 6 simple safety tips from the National Safety Council as you enjoy making your home festive for the holidays:
- Decorate the tree with your kids (and pets!) in mind; move ornaments that are breakable or have metal hooks toward the top.
- Always use a proper stepladder; don’t stand on chairs or other furniture when hanging ornaments and decor.
- Angel hair, made from spun glass, can irritate your eyes and skin; artificial snow can irritate your lungs if inhaled.
- Stringing up the lights is a holiday tradition; make sure there are no exposed or frayed wires, loose connections, or broken sockets.
- Live plants are festive, but keep those that may be poisonous (including some poinsettias) out of the reach of children and pets.
- Make sure walkways are clear so no one trips on wrapping paper, decorations, or toys.