If I Am In A Car Accident With Someone Who Does Not Have Insurance, Who Pays For The Damages That I Sustain?

Click below to share this on social media:

In Iowa, if you are injured as a result of the negligence of another driver who does not have insurance and who was operating a vehicle that was not insured by someone else, you still may be able to recover damages under your own automobile insurance.In Iowa, you can purchase uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. Uninsured motorist coverage will provide payment for damages that were sustained as a result of the wrongful acts of an uninsured driver. Underinsured motorist coverage provides payment for damages sustained as a result of the wrongful acts of a driver who does not have enough insurance to cover your damages.Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage is available from your automobile insurance agent. I have found it to be a very important coverage to have. I have seen that over the years, it has become more frequent that individuals have sustained injuries as a result of the negligent acts of drivers who either don’t have any insurance whatsoever or who have very low limits. In these situations, it is very important to have this additional coverage so that medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering damages can be recovered fully by pursuing an uninsured or underinsured motorist claim.It is important to review these matters with your automobile insurance agent as well as an attorney to make sure that you have sufficient coverage in case your are involved in an automobile accident.

Niko Pothitakis

Attorney Pothitakis Law Firm, P.C.