Cracked safety helmet and scale of justice

First Report Of Injury And Subsequent Report Of Injury What Are They

The employer must submit the First Report of Injury after they have received a notification of a work-related injury or accident. After that, the Subsequent Report of Injury (SROI) is required as part of the claims process. When an employee is injured on the job, employers and their insurance companies have numerous responsibilities under the law. One of the most important responsibilities to uphold is reporting requirements. Employers are required under Iowa law to remain compliant with all reporting procedures and deadlines.

First Report of Injury

After an employee has been injured at work, their employer is required to submit a First Report of Injury (FROI) within four days via the Electronic Data Interchange system. If a death or hospitalization of three or more employees occurs, then the employer must submit their FROI to the Iowa Labor Commissioner — and the report must be submitted within eight hours following the incident. Regardless if liability is denied, an FROI must be on file with the Workers’ Compensation Commissioner. If that is missing, the employer will be identified for a late submission, and they will receive an additional 15 days to complete the process or face penalties.

Subsequent Report of Injury

After the claims process is started and the FROI has been submitted, the employer will have one or more required SROIs to submit via the EDI. These must be filed in a timely manner, or they can affect an injured worker’s claim. Some requirements of the SROI that can affect workers’ compensation benefits include:
  • Once payments have started, an SROI must be filed within 30 days of those payments being initiated.
  • If weekly payments are terminated or changed for any reason, the SROI must be submitted reporting the details of that change and any valid reasons for the change.
  • Each year, the employer must file an SROI if the workers’ compensation claim is still open as of June 30th.
  • Once payments are terminated, an additional SROI must be filed.
  • Once the claim is closed and the worker no longer requires payments, the SROI must be submitted, and then a copy must be sent to the employee.
  • If the employee’s original FROI is denied, the employer must submit an SROI reporting such.

What Happens if My Employer Fails to Report My Injury?

Reporting your injuries to the workers' compensation insurer is a necessary step in recovering costs after your accident. If your employer fails to report your injuries to their insurance company, you may have to file a report yourself. If your employer will not provide you with information regarding their insurance company, you can find out who their insurer is through the Iowa Workforce website. Then, you can contact your employer's insurance company to report the injury directly to them. A workers' compensation attorney can help you file a claim with and recover damages from your employer's insurance company.

Confused About FROI and SROI? Contact Pothitakis Law Firm, P.C.

Understanding the miniscule filings, requirements, and paperwork for a workers’ compensation claim can be daunting. It is best to enlist the assistance of an attorney that has experience filing such claims. The workers' compensation attorneys at Pothitakis Law Firm, P.C. can help you file your claim and ensure that all necessary paperwork from yourself or your employer is completed so that your benefits are not affected. Contact us now to schedule a consultation and to get started on the claims process.

Additional Posts About Workers' Compensation in Iowa