How Long Do I Have to File a Workers’ Compensation Claim in Iowa?
Strict time limits apply to Iowa workers’ compensation claims. Waiting too long to take action could impair your rights, so do not wait to discuss your case with our Iowa workers’ compensation lawyer.
You have 90 days from the date of a job-related accident or the date you discovered a job-related injury or illness to inform your employer, but it is in your best interest to notify them as soon as possible. Your notification should be made in writing.
After you have notified your employer, you must start receiving benefits within two years of the date of the injury-causing accident (or the date you discovered a job-related injury or illness). If you do not start receiving benefits during this two-year window, you must file a formal workers compensation petition before the initial statute of limitations expires.
If you have at any point received workers’ compensation benefits for an injury, a different statute of limitations applies if you are seeking new benefits for that injury. You will have three years from the date of your final payment to receive additional benefits for the injury.
Do You Lose Workers’ Compensation if You Quit Your Job?
In Iowa, if you decide to quit your job your workers’ compensation case will remain open. But it opens the door for there to be issues with your case. This is especially true if you are receiving temporary disability benefits or are planning to file for unemployment. If you leave your job while receiving temporary disability benefits, they could end.
If you were injured at work and plan to quit your job, then it’s best you speak with an Iowa workers’ comp attorney. Schedule your free initial consultation with the legal professionals at the Pothitakis Law Firm today.
How Can a Workers’ Compensation Lawyer Help Me?
Though you are entitled to workers’ compensation benefits when you suffer job-related injuries, actually obtaining the money you deserve is often easier said than done. You should not assume that your employer or their insurance company is acting in your best interest. In many cases, these parties will do everything in their power to pay you as little as possible.
Here are some of the benefits of choosing our firm to represent your case:
- Experience and Expertise: We have extensive experience in handling workers' compensation cases in Iowa. Our legal team is well-versed in the state's laws, regulations, and the intricacies of the workers' compensation system. We can provide you with valuable guidance and ensure that your rights are protected throughout the process.
- Navigating Complex Legal Procedures: Workers' compensation claims can involve complex legal procedures, paperwork, and negotiations with insurance companies. Our experienced attorneys can help you navigate through the entire process, ensuring that all necessary documents are filed correctly and on time.
- Maximizing Benefits: We work diligently to help you receive the maximum compensation you are entitled to. This includes medical care, lost wages, and disability benefits. We will review your case in detail, gather evidence, and use our expertise to present a strong case on your behalf.
- Negotiating with Insurers: Dealing with insurance companies can be challenging. We handle negotiations with insurance providers to ensure that you receive fair and just compensation. Our goal is to secure the best possible outcome for your case.
- Appeals and Disputes: If your claim is denied or disputed by your employer or their insurer, we can represent you in appeals and dispute resolution processes. Our experience and knowledge of Iowa's workers' compensation laws can be a significant asset in fighting for your rights.
- Reducing Stress: Dealing with a work-related injury is stressful enough. Our team will handle the legal aspects of your case, allowing you to focus on your recovery and well-being.
- Contingency Fee Arrangement: At Pothitakis Law Firm, we typically work on a contingency fee basis. This means you won't have to pay legal fees unless we win your case. This arrangement makes legal representation accessible to injured workers, regardless of their financial situation.
- Personalized Service: We understand that every case is unique, and we take a personalized approach to each client. We will take the time to understand your specific needs and circumstances to provide you with the best possible legal representation.
- Timely Resolution: We work diligently to resolve your case as efficiently as possible. Our goal is to help you get the compensation you need without unnecessary delays.
By hiring a seasoned legal representative, you level the playing field. Our legal professionals at the Pothitakis Law Firm can provide knowledgeable guidance at all stages of the application process and are prepared to assist you if your claim is denied. We have a workers comp attorney near you to help when you need it most. We will work to ensure your injuries are fairly evaluated and that you receive the full amount of what you are owed under the law.