Wrecked car and responders

Car Accident Injury Damages Awards Iowa Personal Injury Lawyer

If the Car Accident Wasn’t Your Fault, You May Be Owed Compensation for Your Injuries as Well as Other Damages.

One of the most common questions that car accident injury victims have for their Iowa personal injury attorney is, “how much money do you get from a car accident settlement?” However, how much to expect from a car accident settlement or award is worth depends heavily on the specific details of the accident, such as the extent and seriousness of your injuries. It's a fair question: many people have had their lives turned upside down by their traffic accident and are facing bills for medical procedures, property damage, and other accident-related expenses.

These Costs Can Impact How Much to Expect From a Car Accident Settlement

One way to gain a better picture of how much you may be owed in compensation is to examine what kinds of damages that you may deserve to collect. Here are a few examples:
  • Medical expenses. The person or entity that caused your traffic accident should be responsible for your medical bills related to your accident injuries, such as doctors' visits, surgeries, medical procedures, prescription medications, and emergency room costs.
  • Lost wages. If you missed days, weeks, or months of work because of your car accident injury, you should be repaid for your losses. You can also collect damages for lost wages if you were forced to cut back on hours or take a lower-paying job or a job with fewer responsibilities because of your injuries.
  • Future medical expenses and loss of future wages. Don't just consider the medical bills you have already paid or the work hours that you have already missed. If you will need medical attention the future, such as follow-up surgery or physical therapy, the person who caused the accident is responsible for those costs. If you will miss work in the future because of your continuing recovery or permanent disabilities, the person who caused the accident is responsible for those costs.
  • Pain and suffering. Injuries don't just lead to medical bills, they also have more abstract consequences, such of weeks of physical pain and discomfort. While it is harder to put a price tag on suffering, you should be compensated for the harm that was done.
  • Mental anguish. It is common for people who suffered serious injury in a car accident to struggle with clinical depression and crippling anxiety after a crash. These are conditions that can make it difficult to return to the road or to return to normal life.
  • Property damage. Just as the person who caused the accident is responsible for the damage done to your body and your life, they are also responsible for the physical damage done to your personal property. This properly probably includes your vehicle, but could also include other items on your person or in your car, such as jewelry, clothing, your cell phone, or your laptop.
  • Loss of affection or loss of consortium. Your uninjured spouse or partner can also ask for damages after a car accident if he or she has been affected. After a serious accident, your spouse my find themselves without the benefits they used to have, such as companionship, sexual relations, household contributions, or simply care and affection.
The single best way to better understand how much your southeast Iowa car accident case is worth and whether you deserve compensation is to speak with an Iowa personal injury attorney about your case today. An attorney can help you prove you are not at fault in a car accident claim. He or she can also help you understand if your psychological trauma after a car accident qualifies you for compensation. With offices in Burlington and Keokuk, Iowa, Nicholas Pothitakis and the Pothitakis Law Firm can review your case, examine the damages you have incurred, and lay out your best options for taking legal action. Do you need a lawyer after a car accident? To schedule an appointment with a car accident lawyer at the Pothitakis Law Firm today, call (319) 318-0450 or fill out the contact form on this page.